Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What Does Our Name Say About Us?

While names are personal, we do not have the opportunity to choose them for ourselves. I have wondered what my name would be if I could have made chosen it myself. Some names seem like oxymorons to the persons they describe.

E.g., I knew a fellow in college whose last name was Richmond. He was anything but rich. He was a great guy, but wealth had not been handed down to him. He was a struggling college student like the rest of us.

Years ago we had friends whose surname was Small, but they weren't. They were tall and lanky.

We have friends whose names are Rush. I'm sure they have been known to hurry, but we have found them more inclined to kick back and relax.

Today I stopped by the ART CENTER here on the Island to see the "Gullah Celebration". Near the entrance was a bronze bust of a gentleman whose name was SELF. The plaque described him as being more about others than himself. He had donated the land the center was built as well as a generous contribution to get the center built.

He wanted those who lived on the island to have access to all forms of art. Today there are classes for various ages. It is also a theater which provides the locals an opportunity to hear music, drama and enjoy art from all over the country. My hat is off to Mr. Jim Self who has proven once again that, while we carry the name given to us, it can end up being an oxymoron.

No comments: