Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Latest Fad

Living around the corner from the grandkids is becoming more educational than I expected. Are you aware of the latest fad among the young? Sawyer is 9 years old. He is bringing more information than the other three put together when it comes to current trends.

Today he informed me that he was learning to be a "responsible parent". I admire any young man who would lift themselve to such a high calling, but starting at nine years old seemed a bit premature to me.

I noticed he was heading toward the computer as he spoke. He explained that he had to use the computer and check up on his WEBKIN. When he purchased this small stuffed animal, it came with a code. The "new parent" types in the code and up comes their newly adopted Webkin on the screen (as I understand it).

Sawyer says it is his job to care for this little guy. I have yet to figure out how this works, but it is a serious matter to him. He says it teaches him responsibility. He is never to forget about the Webkin who is totally dependant upon him.

When he finished his task of doing the necessary things the Webkin needed, he returned with a look of contentment on his face. He said he liked caring for this little fellow.

I would like to meet the person who dreamed up this whole thing. He must be laughing all the way to the bank since the Webkins are not free! Also, Sawyer tells me he only has two, but some of his friends have as many as eight and ten each.

What happened to the old way of learning responsibility like taking out the garbage, walking a real dog and even feeding the poor thing. I have a hunch that Jack (his dog) does not get the attention this Webkin gets. Today was garbage day, and I didn't see Sawyer dragging any trash cans to the curb. I do hope he remembered to check on little buddy before going to bed tonight. Jack can take care of himself.

No comments: