Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Papaw Keeps His Promise

Several years ago, when the grandkids were toddlers, Howard told them he would take them anyplace they wanted to go in the U.S. when they became teenagers. Time flew by, as it always does, and Papaw had to keep him promise.

Taylor jumped over the border three years ago by requesting Toronto. Craig went with them, and all three had a great time.

Crosley picked New York City just one year later. I was delighted since I had never been. It was a delightful trip; however, the temperature soared higher than it had in recorded history. The weatherman suggested that everyone take a wet washclothe with them when they leave for the day and drape it around our neck. Crosley was not going to be found dead with a washcloth hanging around her neck in NYC. After all, she was thirteen, and thirteen-year olds don't look stupid in public. Fortunately, I was 63 and had nothing to prove. I left with the wet washcloth! Before the day was over as we were walking the streets of Soho, she asked if she could "borrow" the washcloth. The heat had over taken her, and she decided it was better to live than die proud.

That brings me to #3 grandchild, Madeline. She turned into a teenager in December, but Papaw asked her to wait until February to make her voyage. She is homeschooled which makes it possible for her to be gone during the school year. She chose San Francisco. Good choice. We are out here now having a ball.

We arrived yesterday to perfect weather. No rain or earthquakes. The sun is warm and the air is cool. We took in the tourist things today which included the "Hop on & off" double decker. We hopped off at pier 39 and after having lunch in the sun, walked to the famous chocolate factory...Ghirardelli. Who could come to San Francisco and NOT have some hometown chocolate?

We are here until Friday. I think we will have a hard time returning to ice and snow. Howard only has one more grandkid to go, and he recently announced he wants to go to Australia. I hope he is saving up his quarters because that's going to be one expensive trip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martha,
Richard's parents did the same thing with their 8 grandchildren. Josh (our son) was the first and he chose San Diego...Haley (our daughter) chose New York City. She wanted to go by train (from eastern Virginia) which was an experience in itself. And they went north into Canada if I remember correctly. Such a fun thing to do with your grandkids. I look forward to Richard and me being able to spend time with our grandkids in the same way.
Buff

Jen said...

Hi! This is Jen from BCC. I was so excited when your blog address was given out this morning in church. I blog also and love checking other peoples' blogs. Feel free to pop on over to Three's Company to see what our family has been up to. It is such a blessing to have you and your husband at our church.

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing