Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Winter Wonderland

If I could locate my camera's battery charger, I would post the picture I saw when looking out my window this morning. It was a winter wonderland . Everything was covered with a blanket of fresh snow. What a beautiful sight!

Since winter is a rather dormant month, I find myself wondering what I can do that I wouldn't do the rest of the year.

Spring takes care of itself. As the earth comes alive, so do I.

Summer is filled with lots of activites. Watching our grandkids reach the finish line in swim meets is always a fun part of the season. Families and schools gather for reunions during these hot months, and block parties form in neighborhoods. (Our West Virginia family reunion has been on the calendar for months. It's an event we look forward to each July. The neighborhood block party is a new highlight for us.



Our neighbor, Troy Jackson, brings out his "Green Egg" and shows off his cooking skills while the rest of us fill in with side dishes. We always hope his wife, Amanda, remembers to bake her famous homemade rolls!)

Of course Fall is beautiful and meloncholy. The woods invite us to come and meander through fallen leaves. The temperature is perfect as the air turns cool and dry.

Now we are back to winter. Our neighbors are inside their homes just like we are ours. We seldom see them except on garbage day. We wave and dash back into our warm cacoons.

Do you find yourself wondering how best to spend these days? I have been thinking about this and have come up with the following suggestions for myself:

* Read a good book
* Finish the scrapbook I've started
* Sort photos
* Send a note to a friend especially an elderly one
* Visit a shut-in (or call and chat)
* Host a neighborhood gathering (maybe a "pot luck" supper or a girl's tea)
* Clean closets and pass along unused items (who wants to be in a closet in July?)
* Make a pot of homemade soup with freshly baked bread

The list can go on and on. I'm sure you could add your favorite winter activity. If you have a tradition, please send it to my email address (marthabrammer@hotmail.com). I would love to hear from you.

I hosted a tea party this afternoon for two of our grandkids and daughter-in-law Carol. They got to sort through my cup & saucer collection and pick the ones they wanted. A friend brought us a bag of scone mix and tea from England, so we had a English tea. It was a fun way to spend a cold winter afternoon.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven". Let's take advantage of these winter days. It won't be long 'til Spring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.