Saturday, February 2, 2008

Everyone Has A Story

Howard claims I have an invisible message on my forehead which reads, "If you have a story, I want to hear it". Well, if it's true, I am delighted because of the interesting people who cross my path. I met one this morning. Our paths did not actually cross because neither of us were going anywhere. We were on treadmills in the exercise room! I was amazed that she could talk and tread at the same time. I was on the easy side of the conversation....just listening.

Her story began as a graduate from nursing school. She was immediately hired at a local hospital in the maternity ward. Her assignment included assisting a Jewish doctor in performing abortions. Since she didn't have an opinion regarding the matter, there was no reason not to give it her all.

As more proceedures were performed, she found it more and more difficult to sleep. She tried to talk herself into believing it was the long day's work with few breaks. Also, she knew she was not eating well. So she continued on.

God had been a part of her life since early childhood, but not seriously. He was someone distant to call upon in times of trouble. She decided perhaps she needed to call upon Him now. She needed guidance in this matter since it was haunting her day and night.

She went to a local Baptist church. The people she met seemed excited about their Christian walk. She wanted what they had and joined them. She asked a prayer group if they would pray for her because she did not want to quit her job and receive a bad mark on her record. Abortion was a very hot topic in the media at the time. This was before Roe vs. Wade. The group not only prayed but enlisted everyone they knew to join them. They asked God to remove her from the maternity ward so she would never have to deal with an abortion again.

Sometime later, much to her surprise, her boss, the Jewish doctor, came and explained that he had become a Christian. He could no longer perform abortions. He wanted God to forgive him for all those he had done including the one he performed on his wife. (Knowing how dangerous they were, he did not trust his wife to the care of anyone but himself) He told her it was from the viewpoint of Science that caused him to change his mind. He saw how one small dot carried all the DNA a person would ever need. He could no longer destroy it. (By the time one knows they are pregnant, the "dot" has grown much larger with a beating heart and brain waves). This gives a whole new meaning to the following Scripture.

Psalms 139

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

He quit his practice. Now he was going to devote his life to making people aware of what abortion REALLY was. Most people were not aware that one in fifty women died from the proceedure. My new friend had seen it happen. She gave me enough graphic details to convince me it was horrible. Tears puddled in my eyes. (Believe it or not.... I was STILL treading!)

The Messenic Jewish doctor contacted James Dobson and produced the film "The Silent Scream". That film has been shown around the world. It has received much criticism accusing this doctor of scaring women who are in need of help. I'm sure he has saved many lives....women as well as children.

My treadmill buddy is now the head of a Crisis Pregnancy Center which she started. She goes around the country speaking on behalf of those who don't have a voice. I was so inspired after hearing her. I was delighted that our paths crossed or at least we traveled 2.43 miles together on our treadmills!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Martha! My Lebanon-based mother sent me the link to your blog because I am approaching my 4-year anniversary volunteering at a pro-life pregnancy help center in Forest Park. It's amazing to see how God works for and through ordinary people all the time. His strength truly is made perfect in weakness. Thanks for sharing your story!