Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Old Murals Found A New Home

When I was a student at the Cincinnati Christian University, I went back home to Southern Indiana by railway. This was in the early 60's. It was an awsome sight to see the huge mosiac murals in the rotunda at the railway station. It was a pleasure to wait on a train while studying the details and color in these masterful pieces of art.

When the new airport was built in Northern Kentucky some years go, it was decided to remove the murals and mount them on the airport walls. I know there was a lot of controversary around this decision, but since we did not live here, I knew nothing more about it.

Being at the airport recently was my first opportunity to see them since days gone by. They are impressive with their giant size and bright colors. They should be where the most people have access to their beauty. It looks like the airport is that place.

Madeline is here sipping a drink from Starbucks as we wait to board our plane for San Francisco.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Hi, I'm a member at BCC and I, too, remember the beautiful murals on the ceiling of the old train terminal. My Dad was a yardmaster for the New York Central RR and when I was a student at CBS (1967-71), I had a pass to ride between Cincinnati and Dayton (home). I didn't realize the murals had been moved, but am glad they are in a place where they can be seen and appreciated by many. They are truly works of art. I'll look for you Sunday and perhaps we can reminisce.