Friday, March 7, 2008

A Nice Surprise

This morning when our phone rang, I did not recognize the number; however, as soon as I heard the voice, I knew who it was. It was our dear friend Loretta Alexander from the Traders Point Church in Indianapolis. Loretta is an amazing person. She is the only person I know who refuses to age.

After retirement she took six or seven organ lessons, and then decided she could do the rest on her own! You should hear her play! It is amazing.

She lives in one of the cottages at the Zionsville Meadows which is located behind the "Big House"....the nursing home. She delights in going over and playing the organ while the "old folks" eat dinner. For years she manicured the lady resident's nails (and may continue still). She worked in cosmotology most of her life, and now donates her skills as a volunteer.

Loretta would not want me to tell her age even if I knew, but I am here to tell you she is no "Spring Chicken".

Her call made my day. After chatting for a while, she said she had a surprise for me. Sure enough she did. She played two beautiful hymns on the organ while I sat by the fireplace and listened. Snow was falling past the window.

Friends come in all shapes and sizes, but there will NEVER be anothe Loretta!

No comments: