Monday, May 26, 2008

Old Union Church At Alfordsville, IN

A few years ago a group of local folks decided to bring the Old Union Church, located a few miles south of Alfordsville, back to its original glory. My dad, Howard Gabhart, was one of those who devoted a great portion of time to get the plan in motion. Dad loved Old Union. He passed away before it was completed.

This was the first time in many years that a Memorial Day reunion was held on the grounds. There were 115 who had returned to pay their respects to Old Union, the people who brought it back to life and the relatives and loved ones buried there.

Mom and Dad brought us here every year when we were kids. A huge pitch-in dinner (our noon meal) was enjoyed by all. Mom filled buckets with flowers to lay on the graves of our relatives while we listened to her and Dad tell stories about each one.

It was a treat to go back this year; however, it wasn't the same. There was no food and the old generation was gone. Well... the "old generation" wasn't gone....we were it!

2 comments:

fay said...

Hi,
My name is Fay Hedrick. I live in Michigan. My father. Gloyse Hedrick,was born in Washington in 1898. It is nice to see that the church has been restored. I was in the church in 1961 or 1962 for the funeral of Clara Buzan who is buried in the church cemetery. Hope to visit your area one of these days.
Mr. Fay Hedrick

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Kurt Hedrick , I live in Monroe,Michigan . I,am a nephew of Fay Hedrick , Fay recently visited Old Union church and told me a few stories about the church and a few about my familys history from Loogootee IN. I,am going to visit the church in july and visit the town of Loogootee IN. , were looking forward to the adventure,Kurt Hedrick.