Monday, November 12, 2007

God Bless Our Veterans

There is no school today! Our grandkids are thrilled!!! The city is honoring VETERAN'S DAY with all government offices and schools closed. When veteran's day arrives, it brings to mind a different war to different people. I came into the world on a cold January morning during WWII. I do not remember the war, but I have a vivid recollection of seeing my uncle's empty shirt sleeve. One day my nerve became strong enough to ask him what happened. He bent down and explained how he was at a watch post when an enemy bullet came rushing toward him and severed his arm. He had no choice but to have it amputated. I admired his sacrifice. I don't remember hearing him complain about the loss. That was a tough generation; we benefited from their courage. God bless our veterans....wherever they are. (I took this photo of Lady Liberty when I saw her for the first time this Spring).

No comments: